Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sir Pizza

1916 North Main Street, High Point, N.C.
(336) 841-6434
sirpizzanc.com
Two Thumbs Up

Jon's Take
Walking into Sir Pizza is like going into a time warp to the late 1970s or early 1980s. The place is very clean and nice, but the fixtures and furnishings are clearly from another era. The chandeliers, booths, carpets, suspended ceiling, all of it retro. The jukebox is one of those where you flip through the pages of CDs, a modern amenity compared to most of what's there. During our stay, someone kept playing early Beatles music ("I want to hold your hand," "She Loves You," Love Me Do," and so on) that would kick up the volume pretty high, then make it seem pretty quiet whenever there wasn't something playing. I was actually disappointed they didn't have the old school juke boxes on each table.

Sir Pizza really reminds me of how the Papa Gino's in Gardner, Mass., looked when I was a kid. It turns out this is a national chain (I had never seen one until I moved to High Point, and there are a few locations around the area). So maybe Sir Pizza and Papa Gino's have more in common than I realized.

I ordered a medium pizza with mushrooms and hamburger and the unlimited salad. They give you a nice big plate, so one trip to the salad bar is enough anyway. They have all the basics at the salad bar -- veggies, cheese, diced hard boiled eggs, bacon bits, ham and more -- and a total of five dressing options, though no low-fat options. You don't have to stress about your drink options. All they have is the basic sodas, iced tea, and for beer they had Miller Lite and Ice House on draft (no bottled drinks).

The pizza was interesting and unique as advertised. It was very thin crust and the diced toppings were plentiful. The sauce was distinct, almost a sweet taste. It was high quality for sure. They cut it into a bunch of small squares, which I don't prefer because I never can figure out how to hold it. I prefer regular triangle slices. But that's pretty minor, the pizza was very good overall and there was plenty to take home for dinner tomorrow.

I didn't keep track of the individual prices of what I ordered, but my medium two-topping pizza, unlimited salad bar and half a pitcher of Miller Light came up to $18.15 including tax, which I thought was very reasonable for the quality and quantity. I'll definitely be back in the future.

Jason's Take
Sir Pizza has been a High Point favorite for many years. Although I thought it was a local joint, I found out that it is actually a franchise and that many locations exist around the country. I have been eating at Sir Pizza all my life and the only change that I have seen is their recent change of letting people use credit and debit cards to pay for their meal. For as long as I can remember, it was cash or check only. Their lack of change includes the decor. The stained glass light fixtures that hang over each table are most likely the same fixtures that lit my parents' dinners when they were in high school. I know that they have been there for my 26 years. There is a jukebox in the dining room and wood paneled walls cover the interior. Sir Pizza has no fancy decorations or gimmicks. None are needed because the pizza is consistently good.

But before I get to the pizza I will talk about the salad bar, the most consistently consistent feature of Sir Pizza. The salad bar is simple, yet always good. There is a big metal bowl of shredded iceburg lettuce, ham, cheese, brocolli, onion, carrots, diced egg, imitation bacon bits, pickle spears, potato salad, and 5 dressings. There is nothing fancy here, but you get a huge platter and it's all you can eat for $3.49. So I piled my plate high and doused it with the French dressing, more Catalina than French but the dipper says French, and then got a handful of the captains wafers that always sit in the basket on top of the salad bar.

Next comes the beverages. There is not a large selection, just water, tea, coke, sprite, diet coke, Mr. Pibb, Icehouse, and Miller Lite. Fountain drinks and draft beer. It can't get simpler than that. Jon and I got a pitcher of Miller Lite, 9.95 and we each got about 3 12oz. glasses. The beer was really cold and the mugs were frosted...a big plus.

You all know what is coming next. The pizza is Dank. There are no fancy stuffed crusts or dipping sauces. Sir Pizza has thin crust with toppings to the edge. The toppings are all diced so you get a little of each in every bite. The sauce must have a pinch of sugar because it has a slight sweetness that makes the pizza very unique. I ordered a medium 3 topping, about 12 bucks, with ham, hamburger, and onion on my half, and ham, hamburger, and pepperoni on the half I was taking home to my girlfriend...she doesn't like onion. After the huge salad I had I could only eat 5 squares so I took home 3/4 of a pizza. Now comes the exciting news. Sir Pizza is the best cold pizza I have ever tasted. I woke up today and had a few squares for breakfast. Yum.

Sir Pizza has been around for years and they haven't had to change anything to make them stay around. In 30 more years the same stained glass light fixtures will be there. The pizza is that tasty. Of course, a little remodel can never hurt. That is the only advise I could give this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think! Tell us if you agree or disagree with our reviews, or if you have your own opinions or suggestions.